Ducklings 2018 - 2019
Ducklings Class Teacher
Ducklings & Prep 1 Teaching Assistant
Welcome to EYFS at Loreto Prep!
During the school year the girls will be developing key learning skills in all the following areas:
1. Personal, Social and Emotional Development – focusing on learning how to interact and co-operate with each other and function in a group beyond the family. The girls are encouraged to become more self-confident, independent and to show respect to all other children.
2. Communication and Language – concentrating on developing competence in talking, listening, reading and writing. The girls are encouraged to listen attentively, talk about their experiences and take part in role play.
3. Literacy – the Ducklings will be taking part in activities covering the seven aspects of phase one of Letters and Sounds, which includes environmental sounds, instrumental sounds, body sounds, rhythm and rhyme, alliteration, voice sounds and finally oral blending and segmenting.
The Prep 1 girls will follow the ‘Song of Sounds’ phonics programme, learning 42 different phonemes through the medium of song accompanied by actions. The girls will also be encouraged to read from a selection of Big Cat phonics readers. These fiction and non-fiction books allow the children a wide range of reading experience. The books are levelled and appropriate to the phonics knowledge and allow the girls to comfortably use their decoding skills.
4. Mathematics – developing numeracy skills and becoming able to understand the mathematical concepts of number, shape, space and measures. They will learn the associated language of maths, how to solve problems and record their work.
5. Understanding of the World – developing the children’s knowledge and understanding of their environment including their families, communities, features of the natural world and technology. They will be encouraged to look closely at similarities, patterns and change.
6. Physical Development – focusing on the children’s mobility, awareness of space, and manipulative skills in both large and small scale movements. The girls will be encouraged to move confidently and imaginatively with increasing control and co-ordination. They will become aware of the factors that contribute to being safe and healthy.
7. Expressive Arts – developing the girls’ imagination and how they express their ideas and feelings in creative ways. Through art, music, dance, stories and play the children will develop their imagination, listening and observation skills. They will be encouraged to explore sound, colour, texture, shape.
We are all excited about the learning journey which the girls have ahead of them and supporting them as they develop these important foundational skills. Most of all we are looking forward to having lots of fun and igniting a love of learning in all of the girls throughout their time in Early Years.
Mrs Dobric, Mrs Jaberi and Mrs Packman
Ducklings : News items
There are no News items to display
Ducklings : Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Ducklings : Display work items
There are no Display work items to display